Swans face call on whether to stand down players

Several Sydney AFL players are under investigation regarding an alleged sexual assault and the Swans are facing a call on whether to stand them down.

Aug 18, 2026, updated Aug 18, 2026
CEO Matthew Pavlich and Swans bosses face a call on standing down players in a sexual assault probe.
CEO Matthew Pavlich and Swans bosses face a call on standing down players in a sexual assault probe.

Sydney and the AFL face a decision on whether to stand down several Swans players under investigation over an alleged sexual assault.

Victoria Police attended the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne on Monday and said they were investigating a report of sexual assault in the early hours of the morning.

The Swans stayed their on Sunday night after their 36-point win over Essendon at the MCG. That victory locked in second place on the ladder and a home qualifying final in three weeks.

Sydney chief executive Matthew Pavlich on Monday afternoon confirmed several players had been involved in an “alleged incident” but refused to say whether any had been arrested.

On Tuesday morning, coach Dean Cox briefly spoke to media outside of Sydney’s headquarters for the first time since the news broke.

“Obviously extremely disappointed with what’s happened, and understand the questions and we’ll update as we gather more information,” Cox said.

When asked if sanctions should be expected, Cox added: “We’re working our way through everything with the AFL and the relevant parties and we’ll update when we get more information.”

Asked if he had spoken to the players, Cox said: “We’ll speak as the day unfolds.”

Pavlich on Monday said the club was working with the AFL and relevant authorities, but that since it was an ongoing police matter he could not give more detail than that.

“We’re still piecing together exactly what’s transpired here and have our own set of internal inquiries ongoing,” Pavlich said.

“But, safe to say that we’re extremely shocked and disappointed that this has taken place and that the players have found themselves in this situation.”

As of Monday evening, no players had been charged in regards to the investigation, which is ongoing.

Stay informed, daily

The AFL is yet to comment on the matter, though its integrity unit appears certain to become involved.

Unlike the NRL, the AFL does not have a strict no-fault stand-down policy on players charged with serious offences such as sexual assault.

But the AFL stood down Geelong’s Tanner Bruhn, who ultimately had sexual assault charges dropped, for the entire 2025 season while his case was in court.

Bruhn, who always maintained his innocence, returned to play this year.

If Sydney do choose to stand down players, it will likely become clear well before team selection later this week.

The Swans play North Melbourne at the MCG on Sunday.

Sydney are required to name their extended squad on Thursday evening, then cut that back to 23 players plus three emergencies on Friday.

The Swans then have a week off during the wildcard round before a home qualifying final.

Regardless of Sydney’s, the investigation has rocked the club ahead of the finals and cast a shadow over their season.

AAP has contacted the AFL for comment.
1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service 1800 211 028

-with AAP

Want to see more stories from InDaily SA in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set InDaily SA as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "InDaily SA". That's it.
News